Monday, January 13, 2014

The Owlery

The Owelry is a unique, locally owned Bloomington restaurant that serves vegan and vegetarian food. It is also one of the few restaurants my mom will eat at. I eat there a lot, and the dish that I usually get is the “chicken” sandwich. This “chicken” sandwich is more of a burger than a sandwich, because the way it is put together is more like a burger. It comes with lettuce, tomato, onion the a choice of sauce including BBQ sauce, ranch, buffalo sauce and honey mustard. I usually get the ranch or BBQ. The sandwiches come with a choice of french fries, sweet potato fries, cole slaw, or a side salad. The sweet potato fries are amazing. I give the chicken sandwich 4 doughnuts, because I am a natural sucker for burgers, and this is the closest thing I can find to a vegetarian burger in Bloomington. It is the perfect burger for anyone vegan wanting balanced flavors and a nice crunch.

Pierogi, Image source: The Owlery
Today I ordered the pierogi to have something different. A pierogi is a European potato filled dumpling. The pierogi served at The Owlery are fried, and you have a choice of three of the following toppings: sour cream, onions, tomatoes, sour cream (vegan or dairy) sauerkraut or applesauce. I give it a three doughnuts for one reason. The reason is that they did not seem very satisfying. This is a good thing and a bad thing, as you might still be hungry after eating it, but you will still have room for dessert.

Blueberry Lemon Cupcake
My dessert was a VEGAN vanilla cupcake with a blueberry and lemon frosting that I shared with my sister. The cake itself was very moist, sweet and delicious. The frosting was pleasantly fruity, with an essence of lemon and the blueberry was scrum-didally-umpshis. I give the cupcake a five out of five, because I could eat these cupcakes for all of eternity (well, almost all of eternity).


This is the place to go if you want to have vegan options, while breaking the vegan stereotype that vegan food is not appetizing. The other good thing is that the people who work there are all very nice people. My advice for navigating the menu is that if you find a dish you like, stick with it. You can always try one of your friend’s dishes before you commit to ordering it. 

Overall rating:





The Owlery-
118 W 6th ST, Bloomington, Indiana 47404
(812) 333-7344

1 comment:

  1. You're a wise man, Mars Urschel. Once you find what you like, there's nothing wrong with sticking with it. I, too, highly recommend the chicken sandwich.

    ReplyDelete